Monday, September 18, 2006

What is Indian or Bharatiya culture??

Let us see if I can touch a nerve or two here. I am sitting here early AM in front of my muted TV (Sun TV) . There is a program that is going on "Thirai Masala" and it has been really funny to watch this program. In the 3 songs that has gone by ever since I started kinda "watching" - following has happened
- the heroine has been lifted by the hero 7 times
- the heroine's upper garment has been dislodged 5 times
- heroine meaniglessly running around holding her clothes 4 times
-hero and heroine bending together forwards or backwards - 7 times.
- Hero walking as if he is going to "conquer" something - 4 times

I am pretty sure that the stats would be similar for any Indian language (not just Tamil).

What is wrong with us people?? Seriously, I just dont get it. More importantly is this culture.

The culture talk reminds me of another interesting incident that happened last week that got me thinking as well. As some of you may know - the currently popular tamil actor Surya married tamil actress Jothika last week ( Sep 10th I think). My sister insisted that I take a look at the photos. There were 2 photos that I initially laughed at.
The first one was "Kalaingar Karunanidhi" the current Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu blessing the "Thaali (mangalsutra)" for the couple - This is the guy that has 3 wives. So I wondered out loud that if this guy blesses the couple then Surya should have a jolly good time!. The second photo was "Amma" Jayalalitha - coming and blessing the couple. Hmm- let me see - a person with pretty dubious distinction and sexual preference blessing a couple.

While I ROFLed on this - I realized that bharata janam (be it tamil or any other) have pretty weird standards. While they can publicly accept the fact that Karunanidhi has 3 wives or conviniently ignore the fact that Jayalalitha could be a lesbian (there I said it - I was trying to make this blog - family friendly - who the F*** cares any more) - they care and protest a lot more for matters like a "Kushboo's interview about chastity in TN" ( http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/25296.html)

Is this the great Indian culture? or Bharata Culture? For tamils that read this blog - I ask this question - is this "Tamizhar panpaadu"? How can a culture be so insensitive to flagrant violations of the few? Is this because we are "Cultureless"?

More on this soon.

No comments: